75 years after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, we remember the victims of the attack and we work to achieve a world free of nuclear weapons. Below, you will find a calendar that will list commemorations occurring around the country in observance of the August 6th attack of Hiroshima and August 9th attack of Nagasaki. We hope you will join us at one of these events, or host your own, to ensure that people never forget what happened 74 years ago in 1945.
If you do choose to host an event, please do submit it to us using this easy online form.
Below you can also find a couple resources including:
- A calendar with commemoration events for Hiroshima & Nagasaki.
- Instructions on how to embed the calendar on your website.
Hiroshima & Nagasaki Commemorations Calendar
Events will be updated as they become virtual or canceled due to Covid-19
- Candlelight Vigil for those who have died or live with cancer from over exposure to radiation from the July 16, 1945 Trinity test at the Tularosa Little League Field
- Commemoration of the July 16, 1979 Church Rock Uranium Spill
- July Hazardous waste permit renewal applications due to the NM Environment Department from Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) and Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) beginning administrative permitting processes for both facilities. The permits are for 10 years.
- Veterans for Peace National Conference, Aug. 5 – 9, Albuquerque and Los Alamos, NM. https://www.veteransforpeace.org/
- Upaya Zen Center “Bearing Witness Memorial Sesshin: Marking the 75th Year Since the Nuclear Bombings,” Aug. 5 – 10, Santa Fe and Los Alamos, NM. https://www.upaya.org/
- Campaign Nonviolence National Conference, Aug. 6-9, Hotel Albuquerque https://paceebene.org/
- Coordinated activities in Los Alamos, 4-8 p.m.
- 4 p.m. – Sackcloth and ashes silent contemplative sitting to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the U.S. atomic bombing of Hiroshima, followed by a silent procession around Ashley Pond
- 5 p.m. – Rally at Main Stage with speakers, poets, and musicians
- 8 p.m. – A lit candle will float on the pond in solidarity with the people of Hiroshima
- Coordinated activities in Los Alamos 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- 11 a.m. – Sackcloth and ashes silent contemplative sitting at Ashley Pond to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the U.S. atomic bombing of Nagasaki, followed by a silent procession around Ashley Pond
- 1- 3 p.m. – Rally at Main Stage with speakers, poets and musicians
- Tularosa Basin Downwinders Consortium (TBDC) peaceful demonstrations at the openings of Trinity Site at Tularosa Gate (8 – 9 am) and Stallion Gate (9 am – 1 pm) https://www.trinitydownwinders.com/